Flu Precautions: Catholic Schools
The Archdiocese of Anchorage Catholic Schools will follow the ASD closure schedule, available here.
Guidance for the Catholic Schools Coronavirus (COVID-19)
“As of today, March 4, 2020, there are no suspected or known cases of COVID-19 within geographic area covered by the Archdiocese of Anchorage.
There have been a number of concerns related to a potential coronavirus outbreak. The best prevention is proper hygiene and calling your health care provider if you are not feeling well.
To assist in keeping your school healthy, please implement the following precautions in your school:
- Encourage regular handwashing with soap and water for at least 30 seconds.
- Tell students and staff to stay home if they are not well.
- If someone develops a fever/cough, shortness of breath, have them contact their health provider.
- Encourage students and staff to use a tissue or sleeve (not hands!) if they sneeze or cough.
- Clean doorknobs and often touched objects in your classrooms and school environment.
- Use sanitizers, and keep mindful about unnecessary contact (i.e., shaking hands).“
As with many of its policies and procedures, the Catholic schools often follow guidance provided by the Anchorage School District (ASD). ASD released an “ASD Preparedness – COVID-19” on Thursday, February 27, 2020 with their infectious disease plan working with the municipal, state and federal agencies. The Archdiocese of Anchorage Catholic Schools will follow their lead if COVID-19 is detected and there are school closures. Schools in Kodiak and/or the Valley should follow the lead of their local school districts. Finally, take additional measures you deem appropriate for your school to address and issues and/or concerns.
If you would like updated information regarding COVD-19, please check the Anchorage Health Department web page, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services web page, or the CDC website. All sites have up to date information and can answer any concerns or questions regarding COVID-19 in Alaska.
Bishop Bellisario meets with priests on Thursday, March 5, 2020 to discuss a course of preparedness for the parishes. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you as we walk through the unknown to keep our Catholic Schools healthy.”
Bonnie Bezousek, Director of Catholic Schools and Catechesis
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.