Just 5 Days in Anchorage, Alaska: A Catholic Hands-On Youth Mission
Date(s) - Jun 24 - Jun 28
Add this event to your calendar iCal
Just 5 Days in Anchorage, Alaska: A Catholic Hands-On Youth Mission
June 24 – 28, 2019
For Youth Entering Grades 7, 8, & 9 in 2019 and Adult Parish JH Youth Ministry Leaders
$ 100.00 Deposit and completed Registration Form Due February 1, 2019
- Please submit a check payable to “AOA” (Archdiocese of Anchorage).
- The deposit will be refunded should space be filled prior to submission of your payment and completed form.
- Space is limited and filled on a first come basis.
Contact Matthew Beck at email@example.com 907-297-7734 with questions
The Archdiocese of Anchorage Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry is very excited to be participating in the Just5Days program in 2019. Just5Days is a summer service program designed just for middle schoolers, sponsored by the Center for Ministry Development. This program provides a five-day experience for middle schoolers that includes three days of direct service to those in need, as well as experiences to help middle schoolers learn about justice and to bring their experiences to God within prayer and liturgy. We are planning on participating in the Just5Days being held in the week of June 24 – 28 in Anchorage.
We believe this will be an excellent opportunity for teens, and we hope that you will consider having your teenage child that is entering grades 7, 8, or 9 in the Fall 2019 participate.
If you decide to have your child participate in Just5Days, there will be some additional meetings to help participants prepare. These meetings will be set at a later date and all will be available to participate via phone or online. Parents will be invited to participate in the learning session that we do in the spring and will also receive some additional information to help you and your child prepare.
I am happy to answer any additional questions that you may have. If you would like your child to participate, we will need to know by February 1, 2019. Space is limited and filled on a first come basis. Once your completed form and deposit have been received, I will contact you to let you know the status of availability. If space has been filled the deposit will be refunded immediately. If space is available, the deposit secures your child’s spot with the group. After that, the deposit is refundable only with a substitute up to April 15, 2019.
It’s hoped that parishes will form teams of youth and adults and come to Just 5 Days together, so please communicate with your home parish youth ministry coordinator throughout the registration process. During the event, the entire group will stay overnight at Lumen Christi School. Please visit https://www.cmdnet.org/j5dfor more information about the program and daily schedule.
Matthew J. Beck
Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministry
- What is Just5Days? Just5Days is a five-day service experience for teams of middle schoolers and adults. Just5Days programs are being offered atseveral different locations throughout the country with more than 1000 participants. Just5Days brings a strong, Catholic perspective to the work of assisting people in need.
- Who sponsors the program? Just5Days is sponsored and directed by the Center for Ministry Development, a national, non-profit organization that works each year with over 100 dioceses in the United States, Canada, Ireland, Scotland, and Belize. The Center for Ministry Development (CMD) has been providing service learning programs since 1993 through Young Neighbors in Action, a program for high school youth that currently serves over 2,500 youth each summer. The Center for Ministry Development also provides quality leadership training programs and resources for ministry leaders. Among the programs and resources developed by CMD are the National Certificate in Youth Ministry Studies Program (for adults), Youth Ministry Access (for youth ministers), and Fashion Me a People (for parish leaders). To find out more about CMD, visit www.CMDnet.org.
- Where will my child stay while taking part in the program?Lumen Christi School in Anchorage, Alaska. All housing sites are located in safe neighborhoods, and the program staff ensures that facilities are locked while participants are away from the building and at night.
- What type of service might my child do during Just5Days? Job sites, sponsored by church and social service agencies, differ from place to place. Normally, each parish team will be assigned to one service site that they will visit for three consecutive days, allowing the youth to become comfortable within the service site and see the results of their work. Jobs and sites are selected with safety in mind; all work and travel takes place during the daylight hours. Work opportunities include: soup kitchens, food pantries, nursing homes, homes for refugees, homes for mothers and children, Catholic Worker homes, thrift stores, community gardens, and environmental clean-up projects.
- What will my child do when they’re not involved in service? Each afternoon, participants will have a chance to talk about their own service experiences that day and learn about what others did. The evenings involve participants in learning more about their Catholic faith and the demands of justice, through presentations, skits, activities, games, and discussions. The day begins with morning prayer and ends with a prayer experience, and the whole week culminates with Mass. Just5Days includes at least two hours a day for recreation, including an hour each evening for recreation and play.
- Who will be in charge of my child while he/she is at Just5Days?Matthew Beck, the Director of Youth & Young Adult Ministry for the Archdiocese of Anchorage, will be in charge of the group throughout the program, and your child will never be left in the care of an adult who is not from our archdiocese. There will be at least one other adult chaperone from Alaska, which would be a female.
- How do I know that my child will be safe and well cared for during Just5Days? All Just5Days program staff members receive a thorough background check through the Center for Ministry Development. Additionally, all program staff and parish leaders (including those from the Archdiocese of Anchorage) must go through the diocesan Safe Environment training and background check within their home diocese. These adults will always be with your child—at the program site and at the work site—to ensure their safety, both physically and emotionally. Just5Days provides healthy meals and snacks and participants will have the opportunity for eight hours of sleep each night. Additionally, the program is designed to be engaging and interesting for middle schoolers, with a wide variety of activities to meet the needs of the participants.
- Where do I go if I want more information? Contact Matthew Beck firstname.lastname@example.org 907-297-7734 or visit www.archdioceseofanchorage.orgto download and print additional forms. You may also wish to visit www.Just5Days.org.